Mercy Medical Center in Cedar Rapids, IA has a Part Time, 32 hour a week, Clinical Dietitian position in our Food and Nutrition Services Department.
This day shift position includes a weekend and holiday rotation.
To apply, please visit our website at www.mercycare.org
This position supports Mercy\’s philosophy of patient centered care by enhancing the health of our patients and community by optimizing nutritional care through education and Medical Nutrition Therapy. The Clinical Dietitian plays an active role in the interdisciplinary team to identify clinical needs, implement interventions and provide education. Patient population may include acute in-patients, skilled level of care, outpatients, Home Care and Hospice.
Job/Position Specific Duties
• Assess patient needs, provide interventions and document in patient\’s medical record for care provided.
• Participate in care conferences, on assigned areas, and in regular contact with nurses and the interdisciplinary team.
• Counsel patients on nutritional care and needs, in assigned area, in accordance to policies and procedures.
• Develop and implement nutrition materials and programs to persons of all ages in the hospital or community including chronic disease clinics, Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab, and weight management classes.
• Present educational in-services to healthcare peers.
• Using Medical Nutrition Therapy, provide nutrition education to patients and/or families based on diagnosis.
Position Specific Job Duties/Essential Functions
• Understand/interpret reimbursement and funding for outpatient counseling.
• Collaborate with appropriate Mercy Medical Center staff to secure grants for outpatient programing.
• Collaborate with peers, disease specific, patient education within the continuum of care.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Good working knowledge of normal nutrition and diet therapy.
• Ability to do patient nutritional assessment and to implement nutrition interventions.
• Good judgment in problem solving and planning of patient care.
• Maintains positive attitude in work environment and manages personal frustrations in a professional manner.
• Demonstrates competency in specific skills as identified in the position core Competency and the annual competency.
• Knowledge of the Nutrition Care Process as it relates to the nutrition needs of the patients and ability to apply all steps of the process.
• Knowledge of the Assessment, Data, Intervention, Monitoring and Evaluation (ADIME) charting format.
• Basic working knowledge of computer usage in the workplace and good verbal/writing skills.
• One year of clinical nutrition experience preferred
• Education sufficient to obtain certification as a Registered Dietician with the Commission of Dietetic Registration required.
• Meets continuing education requirements for Commission on Dietetic Registration and Iowa licensure required.
Licensure, Certification, Registration
• Registered with the Commission of Dietetic Registration; and RD or RDN licensure with the State of Iowa are required.
Physical Activity Requirements
A. Constant = 67-100% of workday
B. Frequent = 34-66% of workday
• Use of Fingers
• Repetitive motion
C. Occasional = 33% or less of workday
Physical Demand Requirements
• Light: Exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently