Healthy Heart with Healthy Fats
Heart disease continues to be the leading cause of death in the United States with is an topic of much attention during National Heart Month each and every February.
However, what we traditionally think of as pre-cursors to heart disease, a diagnosis of diabetes, being overweight or obese, poor diet, etc. are not the only victims to heart disease.
In fact, I have personally been diagnoses with pre-cursory to being at a higher risk of heart disease as well as some of the athletes I work with.
With that in mind, heart disease does not discriminate and so it is important to: Eat Smart, Add Color, Move More and Bell Well.
4 Ways to a Healthy Lifestyle
- Eat Smart. Eating healthy doesn’t have to mean dieting or giving up all the foods you love. Give your body the nutrient-dense fuel it needs, and love every minute of it.
- Add Color. Include fruits and vegetables at every meal and snack. All forms (fresh, frozen, canned and dried) and all colors count.
- Move More. A good starting goal is at least 150 minutes a week, but if you don’t want to sweat the numbers, just move more.
- Be Well. Along with eating right and being active, real health includes getting enough sleep, practicing mindfulness, managing stress, keeping mind and body fit, connecting socially and more.
Pomegranate Grapefruit Avocado Toast
- 1 ½ medium avocados
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 cup ruby red grapefruit
- 1/3 cup fat-free feta cheese
- Put the avocados, lime juice, and salt in a small bowl.
- Using a fork, gently mash the avocados, stirring to combine with the lime juice and salt.
- Spread the avocado mixture over each slice of bread. Sprinkle with the pomegranate aerials.
- Top with the grapefruit and feta.